The Children’s Blood Foundation was established in 1952 to support the recent breakthroughs being made by Dr. Carl Smith. Dr Smith was a physician and researcher at New York Hospital in the 1940s who began a community outreach program to treat patients with Mediterranean anemia which we now call thalassemia. Through working with thalassemia patients and conducting research, Dr. Smith discovered a therapy that allowed affected children to receive frequent, regular transfusions on an outpatient basis instead of during lengthy hospitalizations. This revolutionary discovery changed the way chronically ill children with thalassemia and other types of blood disorders received treatment. The Children’s Blood Foundation was founded to encourage Dr. Smith’s work and support other important thalassemia and blood disorder research and care.
In 1997, New York Hospital and Presbyterian Hospital merged to become NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medicine. The world-renowned research at the Pediatric Division helped the hospital swiftly become one of the most comprehensive university hospitals in the world and, to this day, is consistently ranked among the top ten pediatric hospitals in the nation.
In 2006, the Children’s Blood Foundation changed its name to the Children’s Cancer & Blood Foundation emphasizing its commitment to treat its entire patient population. Due to funding from the CCBF, the Pediatric Division is able to remain at the forefront of groundbreaking research and provide comprehensive clinical care to all of its patients.